Once each side of each of the two curtains was hemmed in, I hemmed up the bottom of the curtain 4".
All stitches were normal straight stitches. I used a zig-zag pattern on my last curtain, and this straight stitch looks more professional.
For the top of the curtain, I folded the fabric down 5" and sewed it in place. To add a ruffle to the top of the curtain, I added a stitch 1.5" down from the top. Here is the final product.
I had a long strip of extra fabric which I used to create ties for the curtain. I folded the strips wrong side out and sewed them 2" in. After turning them inside out (which would now be the right side!) I sewed the ends shut.