First, tear up the bread into small pieces.
Cut up the celery and the onions.
Boil the turkey livers.
And chop em up!
Then add a few eggs. You want it to be wet..but not a big pile of mush.
Add the onions, livers and celery.
Stuff that turkey! It was nice to not be doing the mixing here as I was able to take some action shots :)
Our Thanksgiving Day Menu consisted of: Turkey, Dressing, Ham, Green Bean Casserole, Homemade Baked Beans, Mashed Potatoes (tried some from DailyGarnish this year), Cheesy Noodles, Red Cabbage, Broccoli and Cheese, Squash...and a wide variety of desserts. I should have taken more pictures!
Grandma Dressing (Stuffing)
- 6 loaves of bread (I do half wheat, half white. Grandma does all white)
- 2 packs chicken livers
- 1 onion, chopped
- poultry seasoning
- ~6 eggs
- ~2 cups water
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Boil chicken livers until cooked (15-20 min) in enough water to cover
- While chicken livers are boiling, tear up bread
- Add water and eggs to bread; enough to make it wet and sticky, but not too wet
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Spices can be varied based on taste.
- Stuff the turkey with as much as you can and cook the remaining dressing in a casserole dish, making sure it doesn't dry out while in the oven.
- After cooked, mix together the stuffing from the turkey and the casserole dish to blend flavors.