Sunday, October 27, 2013

Making My Own Veil - From My Mom's Wedding Hat!

I had dreams.  Big dreams.  Of wearing my mom's wedding dress for my wedding.


 But alas, that did not happen...


 Mom's dress stayed in its preservation box (or as I may jokingly refer to as the wedding dress tomb - hey, it is nearly Halloween!)

It wasn't that I didn't really like the dress.  Yes, it needed a few alterations, but I knew that I wanted to look completely spectacular and surprise Josh when I walked down the isle.  And not have him think the entire time "Is that her mom's dress?!?!"

So in order to incorporate a bit of my mom's wedding day outfit into my wedding, I decided to make my veil out of her hat.


I had originally just planned to use the lace from her hat and from my grandma's wedding hat and then purchase the tulle.  But, you see that big poof of tulle on the hat?

One day my curiosity got the best of me, and I began removing the tulle from the hat (hoping I didn't regret deconstructing my mom's hat...).  Turns out there was enough there to make a shoulder length double tiered veil!

I proceeded to remove all of the lace off the hat.



Which really hurts your fingers after awhile... but, I finally got it all off.  The big circle of fabric was used as a bouquet wrap.


In order to get the wrinkles out of the tulle, I used a moist towel to iron it.


I then lined them up and imagined which one would go on top and in which direction.  THIS website helped a TON with deciding how to cut and assemble the veil.


Bottom Layer Cut.


Top Layer Cut.

Note - to make these cuts, I folded the fabric in half and used a Fiskars Rotary Cutting Set to freehand an arch.


Luckily, I had just enough lace to do one kind on the top and another on the bottom.  I would have liked them to go all the way to the top of the veil, but I'll take what I can get  ;)


I sewed the lace onto the veil with invisible thread.


After I sewed the lace onto the edge of the veil, I stitched back and forth at the top of the veil with the invisible thread and then pulled it tight.  Attaching it to the comb was the hardest part.  I tucked it under so that it would "pop out" from the top of the comb instead of laying straight down (and exposing the ends of the tulle).


I tied the thread around the comb and then hot glued the tulle to the comb.

And then had a fashion show  :)


In which I tried...


...my best...


...to get a decent photo of it!

But now that the wedding is over, I can show you the real photo of the veil!!!

A good back view.

And a side view.


I can't help but smile when looking at our wedding photos  :)  Can't wait to get them all back from the photographer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment